duPont Awards: How to Enter
Please note: The submission process for 2015 is now closed
Deadline: July 1, 2014
Questions? Call us at 212-854-5047
INFORMATION ABOUT THE AWARDS
The duPont-Columbia Awards honor outstanding broadcast, digital and documentary journalism. We look for excellent reporting in the public service, evidence of commitment to important stories and innovative storytelling.
We encourage the submission of daily news stories and breaking news coverage as well as feature stories, documentaries and interactive multimedia reporting on critical subjects. You may submit a series of related reports or selections from a correspondent's beat reporting in a given year. Investigative stories are also encouraged. Work should demonstrate consistent high quality over time, with accurate and fair reporting. View past winners here.
WE INVITE SUBMISSIONS IN THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES
- Digital & Multimedia Productions: including online video
- Network & Cable Programs
- Major Market Stations
- Medium Market Stations
- Small Market Stations
- Independent Productions- Documentary (including festival and theatrical release)
- Local & National Radio
- Programs must have appeared on air, online or in theaters for the first time between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2014.
- Entries must have appeared in the United States
- An entry in a language other than English is eligible, as long as it is accompanied by English subtitles on screen (preferred) or a complete transcript in English.
- Journalistic treatments of historical periods and their relevance to current issues are eligible. However, programs that are principally historical re-enactments with actors and costumes are not eligible for duPont consideration.
- Funding information for independent productions is mandatory.
SUBMITTING YOUR MEDIA -
Entrants are responsible for hosting their media. If the entry lives online, you may provide a direct link to the piece. Otherwise, please upload it to a site such as YouTube or Vimeo. Links must remain live thru January 2015. If your media is password protected, please provide the password where requested on the entry form. (This will only be shared with our screeners & jurors.) For entries with multiple links, we ask that you upload a document with a complete list of the links to be reviewed.
Submit breaking news stories as one consolidated entry from the news organization. For example, coverage about the Boston Marathon bombing reported on multiple platforms should be submitted as one entry. Include entire segments as they originally aired, in chronological order, separated by a few seconds of black. Do not submit narrated highlight reels. The duPont Jury looks for insightful coverage sustained throughout the event or crisis and afterward. Breaking news submissions should not exceed 2 hours.
Excellence in the digital and multimedia arena requires both outstanding journalism and innovative storytelling. Past winners include an interactive, multi-faceted online site about a deployment of soldiers to Afghanistan, which included videos, reader submitted content, panoramas, and other audio-visual components. Be sure to include the URL for the entry and the URL for any relevant websites (Network, Production Company, etc.) in the online entry form.
Documentaries that have appeared on air, online or in theaters are eligible. A documentary is considered for its storytelling and editorial independence about critical issues. Past winners have been honored for stories about the impact of war, health care, poverty, race and ethnic relations, and historical events. Funding information for independent productions is mandatory.
The duPont Jury honors outstanding reporting in the public service by local television stations, radio stations and websites about important issues in their communities. In recent years, local stations have received duPont Awards for exceptional coverage of the environment, immigration, education, child abuse, poverty, and investigative reporting on corruption in local institutions.
- Entry Process opens: May 1, 2014
- Deadline: July 1 Extensions are limited and granted at the sole discretion of the Director.
- Judging process: July - October
- Winners are notified: November 2014
- Winners are announced: December 2014
- Award Ceremony: January 2015
- Winners' Circle Panel at Columbia University: January 2015
REVIEW AND SELECTION
Entries are reviewed by a Board of Screeners, many of whom are past duPont Award winners. The Board of Screeners refer the best programs to the duPont Jury. Winners are selected by the jury in the fall. The awards are presented at Columbia University in January.
RECENT PRESS ABOUT THE AWARDS
- a brief program description of your entry
- credit listing (name, title)
- a dedicated URL where the media for your entry is hosted online, including password if applicable (must be live thru January 2015)
- any additional supporting materials in PDF format
Submissions that neglect guidelines will need to be re-submitted. Payments via credit card are accepted at the time of the online application submission. Checks are also accepted. Make checks payable to the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards.
ENTRY FEES (payable by credit card or check)
For credit card payment: use Google Chrome or Firefox browsers - NOT Internet Explorer. Please call with any questions.
- Network & Cable: $200
- Market Size 1-10: $150
- Market Size 11-50: $100
- Market Size 51-212: $100
- Local & National Radio: $100
- Independent Productions/Documentary: $50
- Digital Productions: $50